The purpose of the sew-along was to construct our own patterns for an A-line skirt (starting with a basic skirt block based on our own measurements) and then sew a skirt from the pattern.
I really enjoyed the process, and learned a lot!
I started out making a muslin, but then I decided to add a zipper to it, so I could practice installing a lapped zipper, which I'd never done before. After doing all that work, it felt so wrong to rip apart the skirt to adjust the pattern, so at first I didn't. That was a big mistake! After cutting and basting my "real" skirt from a really blingy Wax print, I realised it was way too big, and I had to go back to the muslin, cut it apart at the seams, and redo the pattern by cutting off a lot of excess in the side seams.
I added a center back zipper (lapped)
and side pockets in a coordinating teal cotton fabric. I also added a simple waistband after lowering the waist about 6 cms
In the picture on top, I am showing the skirt with my daughter, who is wearing a dress I sewed for her about a year ago.